Now Available from Amazon.uk
Available August 18th
in the U.S.
Available May 27th
Trick or Treatment:
by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst
The ultimate verdict on alternative medicine.
Welcome to the world of alternative medicine. Prince Charles is a staunch defender and millions of people swear by it; most UK doctors consider it to be little more than superstition and a waste of money. But how do you know which treatments really heal and which are potentially harmful? Now at last you can find out, thanks to the formidable partnership of Professor Edzard Ernst and Simon Singh. Edzard Ernst is the world's first professor of complementary medicine, based at Exeter University, where he has spent over a decade analysing meticulously the evidence for and against alternative therapies.He is supported in his findings by Simon Singh, the well-known and highly respected science writer of several international bestsellers. Together they have written the definitive book on the subject. It is honest, impartial but hard-hitting, and provides a thorough examination and judgement of more than thirty of the most popular treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy, aromatherapy, reflexology, chiropractic and herbal medicine.
In "Trick or Treatment?" the ultimate verdict on alternative medicine is delivered for the first time with clarity, scientific rigour and absolute authority.
|The Cure Within
A History of Mind-Body Medicine
by Anne Harrington
Reviewed by Dr. Jerome Groopman
In “The Cure Within,” her splendid history of mind-body medicine, Anne Harrington tries to explain why we draw connections between emotions and illness, and helps trace how today’s myriad alternative and complementary treatments came to be. A professor and chairman of the history of science department at Harvard, Harrington has produced a book that desperately needed to be written.
Snake Oil Science:
The Truth about Complementary
and Alternative Medicine
by R. Barker Bausell
Millions of people worldwide swear by such therapies as acupuncture, herbal cures, and homeopathic remedies. Indeed, complementary and alternative medicine is embraced by a broad spectrum of society, from ordinary people, to scientists and physicians, to celebrities such as Prince Charles and Oprah Winfrey.
In the tradition of Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things and Robert Parks's Voodoo Science, Barker Bausell provides an engaging look at the scientific evidence for complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and at the logical, psychological, and physiological pitfalls that lead otherwise intelligent people--including researchers, physicians, and therapists--to endorse these cures.
The book's ultimate goal is to reveal not whether these therapies work--as Bausell explains, most do work, although weakly and temporarily--but whether they work for the reasons their proponents believe. Indeed, as Bausell reveals, it is the placebo effect that accounts for most of the positive results.
He explores this remarkable phenomenon--the biological and chemical evidence for the placebo effect, how it works in the body, and why research on any therapy that does not factor in the placebo effect will inevitably produce false results. By contrast, as Bausell shows in an impressive survey of research from high-quality scientific journals and systematic reviews, studies employing credible placebo controls do not indicate positive effects for CAM therapies over and above those attributable to random chance.
Here is not only an entertaining critique of the strangely zealous world of CAM belief and practice, but it also a first-rate introduction to how to correctly interpret scientific research of any sort. Readers will come away with a solid understanding of good vs. bad research practice and a healthy skepticism of claims about the latest miracle cure, be it St. John's Wort for depression or acupuncture for chronic pain.
Len Horowitz, DDS
Is he a dentist, a religious fundamentalist or campaigner against public health?
Who is Leonard George Horowitz?
- Horowitz in Wikipedia
Leonard Horowitz has "educated" the public for over a decade in his own way about the evils of the Illuminati, the perils unleashed on earth by a conspiracy of governments, drug companies, the spread of AIDS, Ebola and other viruses to depopulate the earth. He's partnered with a Christian fundamentalist to spread the word of god. In recent times, he's focused on a conspiracy that involves DNA tinkering, sound frequencies, and the upcoming technotronic revolution.
C-CURE is his latest plan to scam the public. According to Len, it's nothing more than a "skin cancer purgative". Unfortunately, Horowitz doesn't have a clue about treating skin cancer, and anyone who buys into this method as a method of curing their lesions is making a mistake.
Informed consent before taking C-CURE - And don't forget this disclaimer:
"The C-CURE™ Club, its members, managers, leading investigators, and/or the manufacturers and distributors of C-CURE™, accept no responsibility for any costs, payments, or reimbursements for expenses or compensation for injuries said to be connected in any way to either using or not using C-CURE™ as recommended herein as a natural cancer purgative. This includes rejecting liability claims made by individuals who may choose to use C-CURE™ or not, and postpone or forego methods of dealing with cancer more
accepted by the medical community."
- FDA warnings about Bloodroot
- FTC - Curious about cancer treatment?
- Quackerywatch Cancer Scams
Len's Recent Revelations
- Len's Canadian appearances at The LOVE CODE Seminar -
Celebrate Divine Revelations for Miraculous Healing
With Dr. Leonard Horowitz
- Google Video Search
- YouTube - DNA Pirates of the Ancient Spiral pt.1
- YouTube - DNA Pirates of the Ancient Spiral pt.2
- The Knighting of Humanitarian Dr. Leonard George Horowitz
- Horowitz Knighted by Sovereign Orthodox Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem - Press release Nov 2006.
- Horowitz bio - "The 'King David of Natural Healing' vs. The Goliath of 'Slash,
Burn and Poison Medicine' "
- Comments by Greg Szyemanski
Oldies but Goodies
- Christine McPhee's radio show May 20, 2000 for the ultimate in how an evangelical crackpot works the audience. This elecromagnetically, divinely sponsored moment was distributed by your friends at Rogers and the WIC radio networks, where no truth is closer to the truth, so help me God.
For a preview of The Second Coming of Len the Divine Dentist,
- Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse - Horowitz was on Laura Lee's radio show from Seattle on August 21, or July 31, 1999. It's a revelation, oye vay? You can run this one by your rabbi, priest, guru, or Illuminati, just in case you just don't get it.
- Listen to an interview with Horowitz from March 14, 1999 about AIDS and Ebola.
- Horowitz faced the maddening crowds at the Total Health Expo in Toronto - March 2000 - Catch this warmup to the big event. And don't forget to stop buy his table, there are only a few dozen tapes left.
Laura Lee also sells Len's book
Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse, and here is her review:"Horowitz has some interesting theories that I don't agree with! But I'm not here to promote only ideas I do agree with. I'm here to hear it all, and like you, make up my own mind. Horowitz describes himself as a "Messianic Jew" who has found in the Bible codes that he believes relate to electromagnetic, tone, and
sound frequencies used for healing. He also theorizes that the "prion" that causes Mad Cow Disease are crystalline structures grown by specific frequencies as biological weapons."
Click for another review
If you liked this review just
Click here and see who wrote it.
Click here to order from Amazon
|At the Total Quack fest in March, it came to pass that he would spring forth lime green flyers by the boxload.
But at the University of Toronto on May 27th at the International Institute for Studies and Education, he promises to deliver a sermon to all non-believers. And you might like to buy his whole line of product, too. He can get it for you wholesale.
"Ye shall repent, thou art a sinner, stuff it down your throat you insulent scientist."
For the really big picture of the great one from Idaho, just click on the heavenly flyer on the left. Then come join us as we serenade Dr. Horowitz as he attempts to deliver another sermon about his deranged theories about the natural and supernatural laws, and the science behind them.
According to Lenny and his friends at Consumer Health Organization, and certain talk show host at TALK640, I should be praying for a miracle. The only miracle I'm praying for is for Lenny to stay in Idaho and for all quack radio hosts to go with him permanently to join his flock of survivalist, Messianic Jewish, anti-vaxer, crystal water-drinking fear mongers.
Why even Art Bell hasn't let him appear as a guest on his show since April 1999.
Leonard Horowitz - The Real Story
November 13, 1999
Mohawk College - Hamilton, Ontario
Leonard Horowitz, lives a pastoral life as a Messianic Jew, engrossed in bible reading and thumping in a quiet town tucked away in northern Idaho.
So, how did this man, destined to be a crusader for God's message, come by his notoriety, not by having his own cable-tv show, but by adopting a rabid anti-immunization, anti-government, anti-everyone point of view. He lives on the shores of an isolated lake, with his wife and three young children, protected in the knowledge that he knows the secrets to the universe. He believes in the Apocalypse, the "End Time", and he's right at home, just one of many survivalists in the area, not far from Ruby Ridge.
The last time he appeared in Canada he mesmerized a group of dental hygienists, chiropractors and assorted visitors from other galaxies at the Mohawk College Theatre, in Hamilton, Ontario.
Some people in the audience took home educational credits. Others, like yours truly, took home a fist full of notes, about 6 hours of tapes, and another Horowitz induced state of catatonia. I was so enraged at his presentation that I froze at the computer for about 30 seconds. Wow, it must be that my DNA crystals were "fast frozen" by his energy waves.
The revival meeting was organized by an outfit known as Dynamic Seminars, a group based in Dundas, Ontario. One of their claims to fame is that none other than Katrina Kulhay, chiropractor to the stars of the media in Toronto, has a place in their stable of other near perfect experts.
What he believes?
- Dentist sees immunization as evil - Conspiracy theorist sees modern medicine as a money-making, complex cover-up
- Dr. Len Horowitz Blasts New AIDS 'Out Of Africa' Claims - UFO Sightings web page - 1999
- Denver airport is the site of a top secret underground city for the New World Order - of course everything about this site is unconfirmed, except by Lenny.
- Vaccine Forces Assail Harvard Grad Dr. Len Horowitz - Political and Religious Perspectives Considered Too "Radical"Proponent and anti-vaccine lobby leaders have warned
audiences about Dr. Leonard G. Horowitz, a Harvard graduate independent investigator,
public health educator, and author of the bestselling book Emerging Viruses: AIDS &
Ebola-Nature, Accident or Intentional? According to leaders of both vaccine camps, Dr.
Horowitz's publication and presentations, that detail the political and religious aspects of
the vaccine agenda, are harmful to increasing vaccine awareness and debate.
Vaccine risk awareness proponents, likewise, express concern that Dr. Horowitz's
"conspiracy theories" and religious bent are too "radical" to be supported. Barbara Loe
Fisher, Cofounder of the National Vaccine Information Center was among the first to censor
Dr. Horowitz's presentations at a conference which was cosponsored by Dr. Horowitz's own
organization, Tetrahedron, Inc., in 1997.
- The origin of CFS is right inside my head along with every other idea ever put there by God - Roger G. Mazlen, M.D.'s 1998 radio show transcript discusses his new book.
- The X-Files and CFS - Why was Horowitz invited to the Vancouver in 1996? Did he actually speak at the International AIDS conference? Lots of links to like-minded folks.
- Chemtrail crimes documented - this was one of the topics that Lenny spoke about at Mohawk College to an audience of true believers. It's in 5 languages, just in case the pictures are not worth a thousand words.
- Canada's Consumer Health page dedicated to Len - Right at home is the wonderfully gifted David Icke, and Stanley Burroughs. They've got something to clean your body, your brain and your bowels of all this alien pollution.
- A Whale of a Tale - with loads of links on subjects that are near and dear to Lenny's double helix
- Gary Null's interview - a must see - 1995Every single person mentioned at Mohawk is here in one place. Check it out
More Links to Lenny's book reviews
What other's think
- THE SATANIC NAZI FLU CONSPIRACY - Jim Redden - If you thought that Len was off the wall last March, check out this interview.
A conspiracy of silence - London Sunday Times - 1994 - Everyone knows HIV is the cause of AIDS, "except maybe two people", says Dr Robert Gallo, the American
government scientist who 10 years ago skilfully marketed HIV to the world. There is no debate, he says. "Call 5,000 scientists and ask."
- How much longer can we afford the AIDS Virus Monopoly? - Peter H. Duesberg -
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Stanley Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA What does Dr. Duesberg really say about HIV-AIDS? - 1997
- More on Duesberg
- Why do Blacks feel that HIV is a form of genocide? - June 1999 - In a recent survey of Black Americans, more than one-quarter said they believed that AIDS was caused by a man-made virus developed by the federal government to kill Black people.
- Tracking the real genocide - AIDS: Conspiracy or unnatural disaster? - by David GilbertTheories that AIDS is a government conspiracy to destroy undesirable to destroy undesirable populations may make political sense, but are they supported by facts? Writing from prison, where he is an AIDS activist, Gilbert examines the evidence and context of institutional racism that surrounds teh epidemic.
- McMaster University AIDS conspiracy links
- H.E.A.L. - Toronto - not a single mention of Horowitz and his theories
Lenny's schedule and sponsors
- StarTech - Utah meeting - Guest Speakers include: Robert Atkins, MD; Henry West, DC; Joyce Riley,
RN, BSN; Julie Prece, PhD; Mark Ungar, National ADD Association; Vincent Speckhart, MD;
Dan Clark, MD; Charles Wilcher, DC, ND; Gus Kaubish, DC; Jane
Staley. In a private communication from Australia, I was told that there is a possibility that Hulda Clark might be there as well. Unfortunately, her trial for practicing medicine without a license in Indiana may interfere with this.
Lenny's Lair - How did a nice formerly Jewish boychik from Boston, end up in Idaho?
- Bonner County, Idaho - SandpointBonner County Health and Welfare (all services)
1717 West Ontario
Sandpoint, ID 83864
I suggest that you call them to set the record straight on Pertussis and immunization rates for this county. Ask them about Dr. Len Horowitz in the community.
- The 1997 Pertussis outbreak - Len said that his county had the highest non-compliance rate in the State, or was it the entire State? Less than 2/3 of the Idaho children under age 2 were fully immunized in 1997. That was the lowest in the United States. Note that the number of infected patients increased Statewide by about 550% in one year. When did Lenny and his wife move to Bonner County?
- Summary epidemic in Northern Idaho
- Idaho's immunization rate has risen dramatically and now matches the national average, an encouraging confirmation that
Governor Dirk Kempthorne's immunization goal is within reach.- This press release tells a different story in 1999. So what's the real story about immunization rates?
- KILLER COUGH September 22, 1997 PBS NEWSHOUR Transcript
Two year old Derek Lennis was one of 460 Idaho residents and thousands of Americans who caught whooping cough this spring. A two-month-old Idaho child died. Parents say the outbreak hit with a fury.
Almost half of under-vaccinated pre-schoolers get pertussis, and Coeur DíAlene family physician Dick McLandress says heís confounded by parental failure to immunize. Derek's parents said that his shots were up to date.
- Latest immunization schedule for children - U.S. - American Academy of Pediatrics
- Pertussis facts sheets and treatment guidelines
- Panhandle Health Department web site - There's also a map of the panhandle of Idaho. Boundary County, which is just north of Bonner County, in area #1, is the home of Ruby Ridge shootout with the Federal government.
- National Network for Immunization Information - - IDSA - Infections Diseases Society of America - You can sign up for their vaccine alert newsletter.
- Vaccines don't cause autism - AMA Resources on Infectious disease
The AMA believes that critical public
health decisions must be made on the basis of well-conducted
scientific research and established scientific fact, and not on
anecdotal case reports.
- Vaccine Forces Assail Harvard Grad Dr. Len Horowitz - Elaine Zacky - Tetrahedron, Inc.
Political and Religious Perspectives Considered Too
Dr. Horowitz concluded, "I think it's fine that many people may not want to hear
what I have to say. Since vaccine manufacturers like Merck, Sharp & Dohme are among the
leading depopulation funding sources, and their related organizations, like the Merck Fund,
currently fund depopulation programs aimed at reducing the world's population by half as
prophesied in the Bible, I encourage my detractors to disregard my message and God's laws.
As our new bumper-sticker advises: 'GET VACCINATED. The World Needs Fewer Fools!'"
- Vaccination: The UnGodly Practice -
By Leonard G. Horowitz, D.M.D., M.A., M.P.H. Pastor Norm Franz and
Biblical support for those who wish to avoid vaccinations for spiritual and religious reasons include the following law prohibiting
genetic engineering or the use of its products:
Leviticus:19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with
mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen [plant] and woolen [animal] come upon thee.
Ezekiel 3:18-20 provides a pretty good argument why it's important to relay these facts concerning vaccines, blood transfusions,
sin, and death:
"When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in
order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the
wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will be saved yourself."